This is a visit to Chichén Itzá
, ancient capital of the Mayan Empire
, is the most important archaeological site
in the region; it was from the 11th thru the 12th century that Chichén Itzá reached its glory and it was finally abandoned by the 15th century. The UNESCO World Heritage Foundation has recently declared Chichén Itzá as World Heritage
. This is a site that definitely deserves its place as one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. All of its buildings had been built based on mathematical calculations made by the ancient Itzaes (Mayan for “water magicians”), the astronomical knowledge these people had is truly advanced and amazing for their time. This tour also includes a quick stop for handcrafts shopping and a wonderful visit to one is the many sinkholes in the region (called Cenotes), sacred sites for the ancient Mayans which are believed to have been formed by the Chicxulub meteorite impact hundreds of years ago. And to top it all out it also includes a panoramic visit to the beautiful Valladolid, a colonial city in the Yucatan.
- Our tour begins picking up all passengers at the lobby of all hotels (in the Cancun area) to check in at our terminal at Plaza Kukulcan. By 8:15am we depart in a deluxe motor coach bus.
- On our way to Chichén Itzá we will stop for a visit to one of the many beautiful Cenotes (underwater sinkholes) of the region. We will have 45 minutes to get close to these natural formations and take a quick dip on the cold crystal clear waters.
- After the Cenote visit we will enter Valladolid, a colonial town where we will enjoy a convenient panoramic visit of approximately 20 minutes to observe and take pictures of the city’s downtown area in the comfort of your seat.
- Leaving Valladolid and getting back on route for Chichen Itzá we
will ready to enjoy a delicious buffet lunch with regional Yucatan
dishes that you just have
to try out, while we enjoy these great Yucatan dishes we will enjoy a
dancing Jarana show, Jarana is the regional dance of the Yucatan. In
this place you will be able to visit a handcraft shop and shop (if you
wish to) some regional handcrafts.
- After lunch we will head towards to enter the mystical Chichén Itzá archaeological site.
inside we will have a 1 hour and a half guided visit with a certified
archaeological tourist guide and 1 hour of free time to take pictures
and explore the site by yourown.
- After the guided tour is finished we will leave the archaeological site and get back to Cancún.
- By 7pm we will be back in Cancún and will start dropping off our passengers at their hotels.